50iniepoca - Forum dei 50 cc d'epoca

Romeo sprockets

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 8/5/2021, 14:49

Mosquito

Group:

My Romeo scorpion p6 has 13t front and 51t rear sprockets, is there a sprocket for the back from other marque that is smaller that will fit ? I can find a 15t for the front but will just this change give me much greater top speed ? hope you understand !! thanks

view post Posted on 9/5/2021, 08:01

Competizione

Group:

Hi there, a smaller rear sprocket, or a bigger front sprocket either, won't give You more top speed, unless the engine has been prepared to supply more horsepower. If not the motorbike will just loose sprint at start, traction when climbing up hills, and will find it harder to reach top speed. That said, if the engine is untouched, one more tooth on the front sprocket is enough to experiment with: one front tooth = three rear teeth. Going from 13 to 15 seems a little too much IMHO.

To answer Your question, finding replacement spockets for Your Romeo should be pretty easy, with a google search I saw that it has a widespread Minarelli engine (I'm not a Minarelli expert, but my best guess is that it's a Minarelli P6 engine, given the name of the motorbike, but please don't take my word and double check that), and a rear drum that equipped plenty of motorbikes back in the '70s, a Grimeca drum perhaps. Broaden Your search by looking for Minarelli P6 front sprocket ("pignone Minarelli P6" in italian), and Grimeca rear sprocket ("corona Grimeca" in italian), You'll have to take the time to pull the "corona" and take the distance between the mounting holes (interasse), how many of them, if there are fitting poles, and if yes their size and interasse, and the thickness of the corona itself and the size of the main hole. The "passo" (the distance between teeth) is 415 for most of the italian 50 cc of the '70s, it should be marked on the rear sprocket along with the teeth number. You'll find plenty of sprockets over ebay.it, just jeep in mind that in italian it is e.g. z13 - z50, and not 13t - 50t. You can also post over the "Mercatino" area of the forum, I'm quite sure many will have sprockets for sale, just take a look over ebay.it first, to get an idea of the average sprockets price. As a side note, the chain, rear and front sprockets should be replaced at the same time: a worn out rear sprocket and chain will quickly worn out even a brand new front sprocket.

view post Posted on 9/5/2021, 08:46

Mosquito

Group:

Hello, that is good information, thankyou for your clear reply. So now i know what to look for, I think i have found a 14t front at Bob Wright motorycles, but what I don`t understand is that my friend has a Gabbiano with minarelli p6 motor, this is untuned and his sprockets are 14/31.. unless the internal gearing is different on my Romeo why would a smaller rear not work, I understand about the modified motor but both our 50`s are standard ? Now I understand about `415` i have begun to look and found a few, I think maybe a blank sprocket that can be machined by a friend will work out easiest and cheapest to source.. cheers

view post Posted on 9/5/2021, 13:24

Competizione

Group:

I'm not that much into the Minarelli engines, but the inside gear might be different, You should ask over the Minarelli section of the forum. Other than that the wheel(s) size has an effect too, but to be fully honest 13-51 seems a little exaggerated to me as well. Are You sure that these are the original sprockets? Before purchasing a blank sprocket make sure that Your Romeo is fitted with a plain sprocket with no mounting poles.

view post Posted on 9/5/2021, 13:40

Mosquito

Group:

As far as i understand, they are correct sprockets, but almost like trials gearing... I have`nt taken back sprocket off yet but it looks like it mounts with 4 studs... not `pegs`
romsprok

view post Posted on 9/5/2021, 14:32

Competizione

Group:

Usually the sprockets with that plate on top have pegs that fit into a rubber coupling inside the drum, # 10 in the picture.

corsarino_35

ecc3b1c5caf1be1697251f5512261b5a_thumb

view post Posted on 9/5/2021, 14:51

Mosquito

Group:

I see, my dealer has 4 `peg` fantic 37t gt and 45t cabalerro type, expensive but cheaper than buying a blank that does not work !! thanyou again, i am slowly working things out with your help, I must now take the wheel out to check..

QUOTE (ZetaZeta @ 5/9/2021, 03:32 PM) 
Usually the sprockets with that plate on top have pegs that fit into a rubber coupling inside the drum, # 10 in the picture.

corsarino_35

ecc3b1c5caf1be1697251f5512261b5a_thumb

do you have the words that match the numbers , it is very useful, it looks like 10 is a rubber cush drive ? the studs seem to go through and into the peg which must be threaded ? then the peg pushes into the rubber.

view post Posted on 9/5/2021, 15:30

Mosquito

Group:

Wheelout and it is as you said....now i understand, sprok3

view post Posted on 9/5/2021, 15:55

Competizione

Group:

Sorry but my technical vocabulary is limited, and I saw that google translate doesn't work that well with technical words! The studs are bolted (# 13) and the rubber thing is a sort of transmission's shock absorber, don't know the proper english name though. The Caballero sprockets (front and rear) cound be right, depending on the year the Caballero was built

corsarino_36

PARASTRAPPI

CITAZIONE (spooky @ 9/5/2021, 16:30) 
Wheelout and it is as you said....now i understand,
sprok3

I see. If I may ask, what do You mean by expensive regarding Your dealer's sprockets? Rear sprockets mostly sell anywhere from 15 to 35 euro here in Italy, but shipment to some countries may be expensive, not to mention custom duties. I'm not familiar with Minarelli's front sprockets pricing though. Before You waste Your money, double check that the peg size and placement matches!

view post Posted on 9/5/2021, 16:02

Mosquito

Group:

Fantastic... thank you so much for your help, I will contact dealer tomorrow and and check Fantic one is same size, then report back !! the Fantic rear sprocket is £45 plus postage, probably the same as getting one from Italy after shipping/customs costs.. so...37 or 45t ?

Big thanks :b:

view post Posted on 9/5/2021, 20:23

Competizione

Group:

My pleasure. Shipment to the UK has always been outrageously expensive, don't know what is like with custom duties after the brexit, what I do know is that now delivery takes a ridiculous time, I have heard of people needing a quick delivery having a runner taking a flight with the goods into the hand luggage in order to speed things up.
CITAZIONE (spooky @ 9/5/2021, 17:02) 
so...37 or 45t ?

What is Your weight? :woot: 45 and a 15 front sprocket, so that if 13 - 45 doesn't work out nice You have the 15 - 45 option, wich is like 13 - 39ish. If money is no object get both 37 and 45!

view post Posted on 10/5/2021, 11:48

Mosquito

Group:

My doctor says i am too heavy !!!
The only sprocket that he had with the correct fitting was a 39t, so i ordered that, so i will have 13/39 then if it still needs changing a 14 front will be next to try..

view post Posted on 10/5/2021, 15:00

Competizione

Group:

Your doctor will always say that You're too heavy, and that You don't have to eat, drink, smoke, have sex and drugs and rock 'n roll, but if You're not skinny 13 - 39 will be perfect, and given that 39 it's the only available rear sprocket it's perfect indeed. Please post the outcome!

view post Posted on 11/5/2021, 18:27

Mosquito

Group:

So the sprocket arrived, it is a Fantic one and fits perfectly, now I need to shorten the chain, hopefully by the week end it will be done and I can test ride it....

view post Posted on 12/5/2021, 16:24

Mosquito

Group:

Chain shortened, it now seems a lot better but until it is registered a road test is not possible,

14 replies since 8/5/2021, 14:49   262 views